North Korea calls President Obama a “Monkey”
Entertainment

North Korea calls President Obama a “Monkey”

Happenings

(AFP) North Korea on Saturday lashed out at the United States President Barack Obama calling him a “monkey” for instigating the screening of Sony Pictures Entertainment’s movie “The Interview”, a comedy featuring a fictional plot to kill its leader.

In a statement issued by the official state news agency, the North Korea government denounced the release of the movie, accusing President Obama  of being the “chief culprit” in encouraging the production company to “indiscriminately distribute” the film.

“The Interview”, was not released on December 25 as scheduled for security reasons, according to Sony Pictures, after major US theatre chains said they would not show it, following threats to movie-goers by hackers.

But after President Obama expressed disappointment over the move, saying free speech had not been upheld, the production company arranged for direct distribution online via YouTube and through independent cinemas.

The statement attributed to the National Defense Commission also denounced the United States for blaming North Korea for a hacking attack on the moviemaker earlier this month.

“If the U.S. is to persistently insist that the hacking attack was made by the DPRK, the U.S. should produce evidence without fail, though belatedly,” the statement publish by KCNA said.

The isolated dictatorship’s powerful National Defence Commission (NDC) also accused the US of “disturbing the Internet operation” of North Korean media outlets.

The North suffered Internet blackouts this week, triggering speculation that US authorities may have launched a cyber-attack in retaliation for the hacking of Sony Pictures — the studio behind madcap North Korea comedy “The Interview” — which Washington says was carried out by Pyongyang.

“Obama always goes reckless in words and deeds like a monkey in a tropical forest,” a spokesman for the NDC’s policy department said in a statement published by the North’s official KCNA news agency.

“If the US persists in American-style arrogant, high-handed and gangster-like arbitrary practices despite (North Korea’s) repeated warnings, the US should bear in mind that its failed political affairs will face inescapable deadly blows,” the NDC spokesman said.

He accused Washington of linking the hacking of Sony to North Korea “without clear evidence” and repeated Pyongyang’s condemnation of the film, describing it as “a movie for agitating terrorism produced with high-ranking politicians of the US administration involved”.

– Unlikely symbol of free speech –

The movie took in a million dollars in its limited-release opening day, showing in around 300, mostly small independent theatres. It was also released online for rental or purchase.

The film, which has been panned by critics, has become an unlikely symbol of free speech thanks to the hacker threats that nearly scuppered its release.

The low-brow comedy revolving around the fictional assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un played to packed theatres across the US.

A file sharing website reported the film had been illegally downloaded more than 750,000 times.

Online services for Sony’s PlayStation and Microsoft’s Xbox gaming consoles, which had decided to release the film online, went down Thursday, allegedly attacked by hackers.

Microsoft’s online network for its Xbox gaming console was restored to nearly full service Friday but the PlayStation network remained down.

The NDC spokesman called again for a joint investigation, which has already been rejected by the US, into the Sony hack “in camera”, while accusing the US of “beating air after being hit hard by others”.

“In actuality, the US, a big country, started disturbing the Internet operation of major media of the DPRK (North Korea), not knowing shame like children playing a tag,” he said.

From Monday night, websites of the North’s major state media went dead for hours.

The cause of the outages in North Korea’s already limited Internet access has not been confirmed. The US has refused to say whether it was involved in the shutdown.

The North has about a million computers — mainly available at educational and state institutions — but most lack any connection to the world wide web.

All online content and e-mail are strictly censored or monitored with access to the Internet strictly limited to a handful of top party cadres, propaganda officials and foreign expats.

Happenings Media
www.happenings.com.ng