Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has insisted that he did not approve any contracts with a monetary value for the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).
He also denied media reports that $25billion was missing from the corporation.
A statement issued in Abuja by his spokesman, Laolu Akande, reiterated that Prof Osinbajo did not also approve NNPC contracts worth $25billion.
He said no contracts were procured by the NNPC based on the leaked memo of the Petroleum Resources Minister of State, Dr Ibe Kachikwu, “even though such impressions have been maliciously created in the past few weeks.”
The statement recalled Akande’s earlier response to inquiry over the speculation where he maintained that the approvals given by the Vice President when he acted as president were no procurement contracts.
According to it, “when I tweeted on Thursday morning last week, I had indicated that the Vice President, while acting as President approved Joint Venture Financing arrangements. But for some curious reasons, a few media reports used that tweet to report that I said the then Acting President approved N640 Billion worth of oil contracts. Such reporting is both false and misleading and therefore ought to be completely ignored by all seekers of truth.”