Homepage - Online Entertainment and Lifestyle Magazine in Nigeria
www.happenings.com.ng
Watch it! Baldness Can Lead to Heart Disease
Featured

Watch it! Baldness Can Lead to Heart Disease

Eniola Awokoya

Titilayo Ilori
Baldness is the partial or complete lack of hair growth, and part of the wider topic of ‘’thinning hair’’.
Hair loss, is typically considered the domain of ageing men, but this equal opportunity condition which has many causes, can affect virtually anyone.
Everyone sheds about 100 hairs each day, as part of the normal hair growth cycle, but excess loss is usually a distressing development.
Most peoples hair, grows about a half inch per month, and about 90 percent of your hair is actively growing at any given time, with the other 10 percent on dormant phase.
30 to 40 percent of adult men have male pattern baldness, according to some research there is an association between hair loss and heart disease, but not enough to consider it as a possible early warning sign.
Hair loss has been associated with the risk of developing prostate cancer, in previous research; baldness may be a sign of increase resistance. Men who had more severe baldness at the top of their head especially if they hadn’t hit 60 had the greatest increase in risk.
This is because, the top of the head is one of the more visible symptoms of hardened arteries, a condition caused by unhealthy behaviors that in turn causes heart disease, insulin resistance, chronic inflammation, and increased sensitivity.
Bald men, tend to have higher levels of male hormone receptors in their scalp and also high levels of testosterone in their blood. An enzyme in the body converts testosterone to another hormone, that causes hair follicles to shrink and wither. There are ways to reduce risk of heart disease; men concerned by these headlines should not lose sleep or any more hair.
Unfortunately, men who have inherited a baldness gene have little control over when or whether they will lose their hair, what they can control is other life style factors such as what they eat and how much they exercise.