Mikel Obi Narrates How His Father Was Kidnapped Few Hours To Argentina vs Nigeria Clash

Mikel Obi Narrates How His Father Was Kidnapped Few Hours To Argentina vs Nigeria Clash

Eniola Awokoya

Super Eagles captain John Obi Mikel, has narrated the anguish and trauma he was going through while playing in the Argentina versus Nigeria make or mar match last week.

Mikel told newsmen that he was informed about his father’s situation while travelling to the stadium in St. Petersburg, the venue of the match, adding that he called the abductors immediately and they  ordered him to pay a ransom.

Mikel, said he chose to display the resilience spirit of Africa by shutting the unfortunate incident out of his mind and going ahead to play the full 90 minutes of the 2-1 defeat, while refusing to tell anyone even his coach Gernot Rohr, except his very few inner circle members.


“I played while my father was in the hands of bandits,” Mikel told The Guardian. “I had to suppress the trauma. I took a call four hours before kick-off to tell me what had happened.

“I was emotionally distraught and I had to make the decision about whether I was mentally ready to play. I was confused. I did not know what to do but, in the end, I knew that I could not let 180m Nigerians down.

“I had to shut it out of my head and go and represent my country first. I could not even inform the coaches or NFF staff and only a very tight circle of my friends knew.

“I was told that they would shoot my dad instantly if I reported to the authorities or told anybody. I also did not want to discuss it with the coach [Gernot Rohr] because I did not want my issue to become a distraction to him or the rest of the team on the day of such an important game. As much as I wanted to discuss it with the coach, I could not.”

Mikel, who has 85 appearances for Nigeria, captained Nigeria throughout the 2018 World Cup

Mikel’s father, Pa Michael Obi, had previously been abducted back in 2011 when he was held captive for 10 days.

On this occasion, he was kidnapped in south-east Nigeria as he travelled to a funeral. The police in Nigeria were able to secure his release but Mikel said his father was tortured during a week-long ordeal.

“Thankfully, my father was safely released on Monday afternoon,” he added. “I thank the police authorities for their rescue efforts and the support I’ve received from friends and family members.

“Unfortunately, my dad is now in hospital receiving emergency treatment as a result of the torture he received during his capture.”

Happenings Media