No fewer than 10 traditional wedding guests at a location in Imo State were killed by generator fumes with several others injured, according to reports online.
The tragic incident reportedly happened at Umuomumu Mbieri in the Mbaitoli Local Government Area of the state, where guests who came majorly from Anambra State lost their lives. Many others are said to be recuperating from injuries sustained during the incident.
The guests had decided to spend the night at their in-laws’ place after the ceremony when the generator, which ran through the night in the kitchen until morning, killed them.
According to Punch, Commissioner of Police in Imo state, Rabiu Ladodo, confirmed the development when contacted by their correspondent.
“The generator was on in the kitchen while the doors and windows of the rooms the guests slept in were locked," the commissioner said while addressing the matter.
“It is a case of sudden and natural death but we have commenced an investigation. Assistance is being rendered to the survivors."
Social media users have been reacting to the incident, with some blaming the government for the untimely deaths.