Terror Attack Strikes London

Terror Attack Strikes London

Bernard Dayo

At least seven people have been killed and 48 injured after three attackers drove a van into crowds on London Bridge and then went on a stabbing rampage in nearby Borough Market.

Police said armed officers shot dead all three attackers within minutes of receiving reports of the terrorist attack unfolding in central London. The three men appeared to be wearing suicide bomb vests that were later confirmed to be fakes.

Cressida Dick, the Metropolitan police commissioner, said on Sunday morning the incident was under control. “We believe there were three attackers and we believe they are dead,” she said.

She was asked: “Do you know the identity of the attackers” and replied: “I don’t”.

The commissioner said the police’s priority was now to “establish more details about these individuals who carried out the attack and the background to it”.

Detectives also wanted to know whether anyone was working with them in what Dick described as “a fast-moving investigation”. She said there would be increased police patrols in London, including with armed officers. She urged people to remain calm but be “very vigilant”. People fled as the attack unfolded in one of the capital’s most popular nightspots, and witnesses have given horrific accounts of the terrorists storming into a pub and restaurant to attack people with foot-long knives. They spoke of desperate attempts by customers to fend off the men with bottles and chairs.

One of those injured was a British Transport police officer, who was stabbed in the head, face and leg. His injuries are serious but not life-threatening. Police said the rampage began at 10.08pm on Saturday and lasted eight minutes, with the three suspects shot dead by officers at 10.16pm. It is the third deadly attack in less than three months in Britain, where the general election is due to be held on Thursday. Police investigations continued with considerable intensity on Sunday morning in the Borough Market area, where heavily armed officers were deployed. The BBC reported that two witnesses had claimed one or more attackers said “this is for Allah” as they rampaged.

Theresa May, the prime minister, was among many political leaders expressing their thanks to emergency services after the attack.

Happenings Media