Homepage - Online Entertainment and Lifestyle Magazine in Nigeria
www.happenings.com.ng
The site of Lagos building collapse
The site of Lagos building collapse
Latest

Ambode Begins Demolition of 180 Buildings in Lagos

Ambode goes tough on Lagos Island residents, begins demolition

Funsho Akinwale

Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, has begun demolition of distressed buildings in Lagos Island.

The move is a result of the collapsed three storey building at Ita Faji area of Lagos, where 20 people, including school children, died.

Earlier today, Friday, officials of the Lagos State Building Control Agency backed by the security operatives were spotted on Freeman Street, Lagos, to commence the operation.

The Acting General Manager, Omotayi Fakouluju, who led the team said that the order was given by the governor to embark on demolition of distressed buildings to avoid further occurrence.

Omotayo, while speaking during the operation, noted that over 100 houses have been ordered to be demolished before the end of the month, adding that the operation will be carried out in phases.

According to the official, he said three buildings would be pulled down today (Friday).

“One structure will be demolished on Freeman Street, enroute Smith and Massey Street where two buildings will also be brought down.

He added that 20 out of 180 buildings marked for demolition are on Adeniji Adele Street, Lagos. He affirmed that the operation would be executed on the order of the governor.

“Before the Wednesday incident, we were supposed to have demolished over 100 buildings already earmarked for demolition in Lagos Island but some of the property owners have sued Lagos State Government to court which has prevented the agency from pulling down the buildings,” Omotayo stated.

Checks confirmed that about 180 buildings had been marked for demolition on the island, out of which 30 structures have been so far pulled down in the last 12 months before the Wednesday incident.