Alcoholism is mentioned when someone is addicted to alcohol. It is a chronic psychological and physiological disorder in which a person is unable to refrain from alcohol. Alcoholism is also known as frequent consumption of alcohol either for physiological or psychological reasons.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has listed alcohol as one of the top three killer diseases of the 21st century. Alcohol also causes serious social problems, it wrecks homes, it breaks friends apart and has destroyed marriages. It brings poverty and certain amount of crime in a society. It leads to numerous traffic accidents.
Alcohol is not a product found in nature. It is man-made, from decomposition and as a result belongs to a family of poisons. Ethyl alcohol, which is the main intoxicating ingredient in wine, beer and distilled liquor, is an intoxicating drug which depresses the brain and nervous system. Alcohol cannot be called a food or water because it enters the elementary carnal and is not changed or digested in any way. It is quickly absorbed in the bloodstream; it touches the cortex in the brain and eventually sets it in confusion. It affects every vital organ, like the brain and liver.
Here are 10 ways to prevent excessive drinking of alcohol, as offered by a psychiatrist, Dr. William B. Terhune.
1. Never drink when you “need one”.
2. Sip slowly.
3. Space your drinking, take the second sip after 30 minutes and the third after one hour 30 minutes.
4. Dilute your alcohol.
5. Keep an accurate and truthful record of the amount and number of drinks you take.
6. Never conceal the amount of alcohol you drink. It means, stop taking record of the quantity of alcohol you take. People brag, they can take 10 bottles or 15 bottles, without knowing that it leads to addiction.
7. Do not drink on an empty stomach.
8. Stop drinking on signals.
Signals are dinner, lunch, fatigue, sex stimulation, boredom, frustration and bedtime.
9. Make it a rule never to drink to escape discomfort and responsibilities.
10. Finally, it is advisable not to take a drink in the morning, thinking it will cure yesterday’s problems.