The Federal High Court’s ruling in favour of DSS operatives to keep Sowore in detention for 45 days has sparked outrage across the country.
There was uproar across the country on Thursday as the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja approved 45 days for the Department of State Services to detain the publisher of ‘Sahara Reporters’ and the convener of the RevolutionNow protest, Omoyele Sowore.
The operatives of DSS had last Saturday picked Sowore over his move to stage a revolution which later held in a few states of the federation on Monday.
Delivering his judgment, Justice Taiwo Taiwo granted the agency permission to hold Sowore for 45 days against 90 days the security men had earlier requested to investigate the activist for treason related offences.
Meanwhile, Sowore’s lawyer, Femi Falana, after the ruling, said he would file an application to challenge the detention order.
“I saw him yesterday (Wednesday) when he had already envisaged that the order for his detention would be granted. So he had already given us the instruction to challenge it,” he said.
Speaking in the same vein, Chief Mike Ozekhome has condemned the ruling of Justice Taiwo on the case, saying it is a violation of human rights.
“Didn’t we, civil society and labour leaders, during successive military hunts and also during Obasanjo’s presidency, serially call for ‘revolution’, without any arms and ammunition?” Ozekhome asked.
“What was the extreme urgency in the matter (usually the main grounds for granting ex parte orders) that the Judge couldn’t order the government (who, in any case was already detaining Sowore) to put him on notice?”
Other bodies, including European Union, SERAP, and Afenifere, among others, have condemned the Buhari-led government for unjustly detaining Sowore