Two children have been confirmed dead and 23 others severely burnt in a gas explosion that occurred in the Ajegunle area of Lagos, Southwest Nigeria.
The tragic incident occurred at Aduke Street, off Ojo Road, Ajegunle, in Ajeromi/Ifelodun local government area on Wednesday after a refill shop exploded following gas leakage.
Director-General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, Dr Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, confirming the unfortunate incident, said: “Upon arrival at the scene of the incident, it was discovered that a gas cylinder store had exploded as a result of gas leakage."
"Further investigations revealed that the fire was ignited as a result of a call being made by an unidentified resident which escalated to other nearby shops and a bungalow behind the shops.
“Unfortunately, two children (male and female) lost their lives and multiple burn casualties were recorded; a total of Twenty Three (23) in number."
Oke-Osanyintolu further disclosed that all the victims have been evacuated to the Burn Unit, Gbagada General Hospital, while also revealing that one of the corpses met at the scene was identified as Damilare Afolabi whose remains were bagged by the LRT and handed over to the family.
“The entire area has been cordoned and post-disaster assessment is ongoing,” he added as he advised those in the area to avoid the use of naked fire to prevent further disaster.