Barcelona Superstar, Lionel Messi, stated that he hopes to continue playing football undisturbed by age. He said this after claiming a record sixth Ballon d'Or award at the age of 32 in Paris on Monday,
Lionel Messi was at the Chatelet Theatre in the French Capital with his wife, Antonella Roccuzzo, and two of their children. This is Messi's first Ballon d'Or since 2015 and his sixth overall as he now moves one ahead of his old-time rival and Juventus striker, Cristiano Ronaldo who stands behind the Argentine with five Ballon d'Or awards.
The Argentine Captain claimed this year's prize - organised by the France Football magazine. He was voted for by a panel of journalists from around the world and ahead of his other competitors; Liverpool’s defender Virgil van Dijk, and Juventus’ superstar Ronaldo finishing second, and third respectively.
After claiming his award, Messi gave this acceptance speech;
"It’s been ten years since I won my first Ballon d'Or here in Paris and I remember coming here with my three brothers. I was 22, and it was all unthinkable for me what I was going through," Messi said on stage after receiving the award from last year's winner Luka Modric.
"I hope I have several years left to keep enjoying my football. I am aware of my age and these moments are all the more enjoyable because the moment when I have to retire is getting closer and that is difficult."