According to Juventus Skipper, Giorgio Chiellini, he believes that his teammate and Juventus striker, Cristiano Ronaldo was allegedly robbed off the 2018 Ballon d'Or when Luka Modric was crowned the best player in the world.
Chellini laid claims that Cristiano Ronaldo was overlooked last year in favour of Luka Modric due to external influence from Real Madrid. In his allegations, he believes Real Madrid deliberately prevented his team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo from winning the award.
The Ballon d'Or trophy went to the Los Blancos and Croatia midfielder Luka Modric in 2018, stopping Ronaldo from being crowned the world's best footballer for the record sixth time. On Monday, Barcelona star, Lionel Messi became the first player to reach the landmark after beating runner-up Virgil Van Dijk to it at Monday night's awards in Paris, France.
Ronaldo has now refused to attend the ceremony for two consecutive years after learning he would not be the one lifting the golden globe. Instead, he attended another award ceremony in Italy where he was awarded a trophy for being the best player in Serie A for the 2018/2109 season.
Sky Sport Italia had interviewed Chiellini for his views on Messi's victory, but the Italian international, however, preferred to air his views on Modric's 2018 Balon d'Or win which broke the 10-year Messi-Ronaldo monopoly on the prize.
"It's okay that Messi has won the Ballon d'Or this year. The real theft was last year," said the Bianconeri defender.
"Real Madrid decided that Cristiano should not win the Ballon d’Or. It was really strange.
“This season, it was more balanced. With all due respect, Modric even in the best season of his career didn’t deserve it.
"That was a signal from Real Madrid, as they wanted to stop Ronaldo from winning it.
"Cristiano won the Champions League, [but I suppose] by that logic Van Dijk should have won it this year.
"Maybe last year Griezmann, Pogba or Mbappe should have won for doing extraordinary things at the World Cup.
"Modric made no sense," Chellini said.