What is the difference between a smoothie and juice? Find out here!
We have all come to love these delicious healthy drinks. We appreciate their health benefits, but have we been mixing them up? Could that be the reason we have not reached our health goals, although we have been strict with our diet and work out plans?
Well, it could just be. But both drinks are healthy. They are made in different ways and have different end results. However, with these clarifications, you will be right on track to living a healthy life and smashing your fitness goals.
What are Smoothies?
Smoothies are thick, cold beverages made with water, ice and whatever fruits and or vegetables of your choice, blended to a smooth consistency. Depending on your taste, your smoothie ingredients may also include yoghurt, milk, ice cream and much more. You can use any kind of soft fruit or vegetable you want, and you can always add more fruits to thicken it or a bit more milk or water to thin it out.
How to make a smoothie
Making smoothies is simple and there are plenty of recipes out there, but do not restrict yourself to recipes. You can make a great smoothie in these simple steps.
1. Chose your fruits, vegetables or both.
2. Wash your chosen ingredients.
3. Freeze your chosen ingredients or use ice if preferred.
4. Get your extras; yoghurt, milk, ice cream, juice, honey or sweetener of your choice.
5. Measure your ingredients to make your desired quantity.
6. Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend.
Your smoothie is ready for consumption!
The only difference in choosing between fresh or frozen fruit is how thick you want it to be. Frozen fruits will make for a thicker smoothie than fresh fruits which will only get thickened up slightly by the ice but have a more liquid texture. For maximum enjoyment, a combination of both is recommended.
What is Juice?
Juice is any drink made by extracting or pressing out the natural liquid contained in fruits and vegetables. Due to the excessive amounts of sugar, additives and preservatives found in store-bought/packed juice, freshly squeezed juice is highly recommended, as it has zero added sugar and is packed with multivitamins. Basically, compared to smoothies, juice is watery. There is no form of thickness to it.
How to make juice
You may simply use a juicer whose function is to extract the “juice” from the fruit or vegetable while discarding the remnant. If you do not have a juicer, have no fear, a blender is another alternative. All you need is a blender, a nut milk bag/cheesecloth and a bowl.
1. Select your fruits or vegetables - or both.
2. Wash your selected ingredients.
3. Place it in the blender and blend.
4. Put your nut milk bag/cheesecloth over your bowl and turn out the content of the blender into it.
5. Squeeze with your hands until all the juice is out.
Your juice is ready! Chill with ice or drink immediately.