President Muhammadu Buhari finally paid a condolence visit to Borno State following a Sunday terrorist attack by the Boko Haram insurgency that killed 30 persons while women and children were abducted.
It was gathered that the attack reportedly targeted the village of Auno on a key highway, linking Maiduguri. At least 18 vehicles comprising trailers, buses, and cars were also said to have been burnt by the insurgents, who laid siege to their village about 9.50 pm on Sunday.
The President, who sympathized with the government and people of the state over the Boko Haram insurgents’ attack, noted that the fight against insurgency could not be won without good intelligence and support of the people.
He said, “Boko Haram or whatever they are cannot come to Maiduguri or its environs without the local leadership knowing, the local leadership is in charge of security in their own respective areas.”
He added that with his understanding of our culture, it is surprising how Boko Haram survives up to this end. He said: “As the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, I campaigned in 2015 and last year on three fundamental issues which include security as you cannot preside over an institution or a country if it is not secured.”
However, he stated that he believes there is an improvement in security.
“We are working for you in this country; as Commander-in-Chief, I am dealing with the security institutions and I believe there is an improvement in security,” he said.
Therefore, he urged the people of the state to cooperate with law enforcement agencies.
“Let us deny Boko Haram access to our loyal citizens and encourage displaced people to go back to their land,” he said.