A lot of snacks/ desserts can be referred to as coconut candy but the sweet chewy coconut candy discussed here is that made in Nigeria.
Though some work goes to grating the fresh coconut flesh into tiny pieces, the snack itself is very simple to make
* 1 head fresh coconut with the juice
* 200g icing sugar powdered sugar
The first thing you must do, is break the coconut, making sure to collect the coconut juice from it.
Remove the flesh from the shells and grate into small pieces, use the smaller opening on the grater.
1. pour the coconut juice into the pot
2. Add the icing sugar( powdered sugar stir)
3. Add the tiny coconut pieces and stir
4. Make sure you add enough water to the same level as the coconut pieces.
5. And set it to boil at high heat, please cover the pot
6. Once it starts boiling stir continuously till all the water is just about evaporated.
7. Reduce to low heat and continue stirring
8. At a time, you will notice that the contents have started sticking together, this is the sugar caramelizing
9. Stir till the coconut pieces start turning slightly brown
10. Turn off the heat and scoop the hot coconut candy onto a flat plate and leave to cool
11. Once cold, you can serve as dessert or eat it as a snack.
1. Make sure the coconut candy is sticky when cold, it should not be dry
2. The good news is that it can stored in the freezer for up to a month
3. This is meant to be very sweet snack, that is why all that sugar is used in the preparation, but feel free to reduce the quantity of sugar.
4. This is the tough part because the caramel from the sugar can be tough to wash off the pot. Not to worry give it time.