National Emergency Management Agency on Monday said 5,000 persons, who fled from Monguno, which was captured on Sunday by Boko Haram insurgents, had been registered in Maiduguri by the agency.
Speaking to our correspondent on the telephone o Monday, the Information Officer of NEMA, Northeast Zonal office, AbdulKadir Ibrahim, said an uncompleted housing estate had been donated by the Borno State Government to accommodate the Internally Displaced Persons.
Ibrahim said many more people were still been expected to find their way into the town, stating that 2,000 persons arrived in Maiduguri on Sunday with another set of 3,000 arriving on Monday.
He added that the housing estate, donated by the government, was along Gubio road in the outskirts of Maiduguri.
He said, “At the moment, we have registered 5,000 persons and we are expecting more. We have put the needed materials that will make them settle to their lives at the camp.”
Boko Haram insurgents attacked and captured Monguno, a town in the northern part of Borno state on Saturday night.
The insurgents have since occupied the Army barracks and hoisted their flags at strategic locations in the town to signify its capture.
The soldiers, deployed in the town, fled to Maiduguri, alongside other residents, who feared the rule of the insurgents.
As of last count, the terror sect has captured and occupied more than half of the landmark of the troubled state.