Homepage - Online Entertainment and Lifestyle Magazine in Nigeria
www.happenings.com.ng
Egyptian league suspended indefinitely after disaster
News

Egyptian league suspended indefinitely after disaster

Happenings

Egypt’s cabinet has decided to suspend the Egyptian Premier League indefinitely after clashes between Zamalek’s fans and security forces left up to 30 dead on Sunday.

The decision came after an urgent meeting between Egypt’s Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab and the interior, sports and health ministers to discuss the disaster.

Zamalek’s hardcore fans clashed with Egyptian police before a Premier League game against ENPPI in the deadliest football-related incident since the infamous Port Said disaster three years ago.

Police used tear gas to disperse members of the Ultras White Knights in front of Cairo’s Air Defence Stadium, an army-owned venue, a few hours before Zamalek played ENPPI in a top-of-the-table clash.

Earlier on Sunday, the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) suspended its decision to lift a crowd ban in league games after the clashes.

The Egyptian interior ministry said the clashes occurred after Ultras White Knights members tried to attend the game without buying tickets.

A league crowd ban that has been in place since the 2012 Port Said tragedy, which left over 70 Ahly fans dead, was partially lifted as authorities said they would gradually allow fans to return to the stands.