The global human rights watchdog, Amnesty International, said that Boko Haram had killed at least 3,500 people since the beginning of 2015.
The group said that despite advances by the military, attacks by Boko Haram in Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad and Niger had claimed the lives of at least 1,600 people since the start of June.
A statement on Wednesday by AI said the United Nations Human Rights Council was discussing a report on the conflict.
“The number of people killed so far this year is truly shocking with more than 3,500 civilian fatalities in less than 300 days,” said Netsanet Belay, Amnesty International’s Africa Director for Research and Advocacy.
“Governments in affected countries must take all necessary legal measures to ensure the security of civilians in affected areas,” the statement added.
As the UNHRC discusses violations and abuses allegedly committed in the course of the conflict, AI renewed its calls for adequate protection of civilians from Boko Haram attacks.