I was almost burnt alive – Accident victim narrates horrifying ordeal

I was almost burnt alive – Accident victim narrates horrifying ordeal

Yvonne Williams

In her quest to fulfill her life long dream to become a certified nurse, Mayomikun Sharon came face to face with death and this experience cut short her dream.

Sharon in a chat with the Newsroom narrated her ordeal:  “My lifelong dream has always been to be a nurse because I just want to save lives. When I did JAMB and I was given another course I rejected it because all I wan to be is a nurse. I graduated from secondary school in 2008. I had enrolled into a so-called private nursing school in 2010 but later found out the whole thing was a fraud.

‘On Friday September 11, 2015, I was travelling from Lagos going to Ilorin,’ Sharon said. ‘I boarded a bus from Lagos to Iwo road in Ibadan where I boarded another one to Ilorin. ‘We were around a sharp bend along Eyenkorin at about 9:30 p.m. when the accident happened,’ she said. Sharon recalled how almost all the 17 passengers in the bus had, to no avail, warned the driver to stop over-speeding. ‘The driver was over-speeding and we warned him,’ Sharon said.

‘I guess the way he sped into the corner caused the accident. I don’t know how many times the bus summersaulted. It happened in a flash. When the bus came to a stop, many of the passengers got out. Everyone sustained injuries and two later died in hospital the next day. Immediately after the accident, we couldn’t find the driver.’ Sharon was trapped. She thought she would be burnt to death after the bus caught fire. Villagers and police officers were on hand to rescue her.  ‘Myself and another man were trapped in the bus, then it caught fire,’ she said, her voice almost choking on the emotions that tried to escape with every word she used to describe her horror. ‘My bag, which contained my certificate and international passport, was burnt,’ she managed to say. ‘Everything got burnt. My phone got burnt. But I escaped.’ She said the flames were almost licking at her clothes when police officers and good Samaritans who had come from the neighbouring town pulled her out. ‘They also pulled the other man out but he lost something,’ Sharon said. ‘He was travelling with a little girl, his daughter.

We were all injured and taken to a private clinic at Eyenkorin. The little girl was so injured she was referred to Ilorin General Hospital. ‘I was making a police report at the local police station the next day when the father walked in to report his daughter died at the hospital that morning,’ Sharon said. One other injured passenger also died in hospital. But the reckless man who drove them to their deaths had disappeared moments after the crash. Sharon said she had a tough time coping with everything she witnessed that Friday and the following Saturday. ‘My mind was blank after the accident,’ she said. ‘It was too much for me to handle. I just went blank. I was injured in my right arm. I was unable to eat with the hand until September 21 when I used it to eat my favourite food – rice. ‘A day after that, I was able to sew clothes with the help of the same hand,’ she said.

Wow! Thank God. Would you believe someone came out of that alive?



Happenings Media