News

Metuh allegedly tore confessional statement – EFCC

Mfonobong Akpan

The National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, Chief Olisa Metuh, has torn a confessional statement he made to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, a top operative of the commission has said.

The top officer of the commission, who confided in one of our correspondents on Tuesday, alleged that Metuh tore the statement when it was brought to him for his signature.

The source alleged that the PDP spokesman tore the statement he had earlier made to shreds and attempted to put the pieces in his mouth when operatives stopped him.

Metuh was arrested by the EFCC last week for allegedly receiving N1.4bn meant for the purchase of arms from a former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.).

The source said the interrogators believed that the PDP spokesman destroyed the statement after realising the gravity of the evidence against him.

The top operative added that the commission was considering filing additional charges against Metuh for allegedly destroying a major evidence in the case against him.

He added that the action of the PDP spokesman amounted to a willful damage of government property.

“The tearing of statement is tantamount to willful destruction of government property and it is a serious offence. Also, the fact that he obstructed operatives from performing their job is a criminal offence.

“We will explore the possibility of filing a separate charge against him at the Federal Capital Territory High Court,” the source said.

Efforts to get Metuh’s aide, Mr. Richard Ihediwa, to react to this latest development did not succeed as calls to his mobile telephone indicated that it was switched off.

Meanwhile, Metuh has said he will no longer speak to investigators about the N400m he collected from former President Goodluck Jonathan.

He said rather, he would only speak in an open court.

Metuh had admitted before the EFCC operatives that he received N400m from Jonathan, but refused to disclose what the money was meant for or for what job.

In a statement by his Special Assistant, Ihediwa, in Abuja on Tuesday, Metuh claimed that he executed a project for the former President but refused to explain the job he executed for the ex-President that fetched him the huge sum.

Metuh, who is said to be on hunger strike, said he would only disclose the job he did for the defeated former President in an open court.

Ihediwa said, “In exercise of his rights, he has since given his statement to the EFCC wherein he submitted that he received the sum of N400m from the former President for an assignment, which he executed to the satisfaction of the former President.

“In further exercise of his rights, Metuh has also indicated his readiness to make public the nature of this assignment, but only in an open court in line with the laws of the land, and where his statement would not be distorted by anybody.”

Meanwhile, the caucus of the PDP in the House of Representatives has demanded the release of the PDP spokesperson from the custody of the EFCC within 48 hours.

Efforts to get the EFCC’s spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren, to confirm Metuh’s action, had not succeeded as of the time of sending this report as calls to his mobile telephone did not connect.

source: punchng

Happenings Media
www.happenings.com.ng