Family yet to claim body of police who killed three in Ketu

Family yet to claim body of police who killed three in Ketu

Mfonobong Akpan

Relatives of Sergeant Stephen James, the mobile police officer who killed three men and turned the gun on himself at Paulson Plaza, Ketu, Lagos State last Boxing Day, have still not turned up to claim the body of the officer at the morgue, neither have they shown up at the headquarters of the Lagos State Police Com­mand.

As at the time he commit­ted the atrocious act, Sergeant James was attached to Mopol 22 Squadron under the leadership of SP Suleiman Y. Toyin. James killed 34-year-old Oyesunle twin-brothers and another man, Adesanya Adegoke, popularly known as Jeje, on December 26, 2015 close to a hotel in Ketu, Lagos.

Following the extra-judicial killing of the three men and his subsequent instant suicide, he was posthumously tried and dis­missed from the police force.

Three weeks after his death in the incident, no family member has come forward to claim his body or even acknowledged knowing him. In the attempt to trace his family, Sunday Sun learnt that the wife of Stephen James is a member of the police force and is currently serving under the Ogun State Command.

It was further gathered that the late James listed his son as the next-of-kin, but left no address as to how his wife could be traced. The Commander of the Mopol Unit 22, to which James was attached until his demise, Suleiman Y. Toyin, refused to comment on the matter. Rather he directed the Sunday Sun reporter to the Public Relations Officer of the Lagos State Police Command, SP Deola Badmus, being the official spokesperson of the command.

When Sunday Sun reporter contacted Badmus to shed light on the whereabouts of James’ family, she said that the family members absconded from the Alapere Barracks where they lived immediately the news filtered in that he had killed three civilians.

She explained that James was always on the go being a mobile police officer, and may there­fore not have a house in Lagos, though he had been in the Lagos Command for six years. She said that most of the officers who come into Lagos State stay at the Squadron’s recreational centre or in the halls where space is provided for as many officers as possible.

She also confirmed that the late policeman had been post­humously dismissed from the police force and thereby forfeited his benefits in accordance with police regulations, because of his criminal act.

At the time they were killed, Taiwo was a naval officer while his twin brother was an accounts of­ficer at the Conoil mega station. On his part, the late 35-year-old Adesanya, was a trader and native of Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State. He was buried on Sunday at a cemetery in Ikorodu while the corpses of the twin brothers, Taiwo and Kehinde Oyesunle were taken from Ikorodu General Hospital Morgue to the Nigerian Navy Reference Hospital, Ojo, by naval personnel.


Happenings Media