The Federal Government has dismissed some top officials of the Civil Service for extorting money from 400 applicants and offering them employment illegally.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, made the disclosure on Saturday in Lagos during a meeting with some selected On-Air-Personalities.
The meeting was part of the minister`s five-day consultations with critical stakeholders in the media industry. Mohammed said that the affected officers were on Grade Level 17 in one of the parastatals in the ministry.
He said that the officers had included the names of the applicants in the Integrated Payroll and Personnel System (IPPIS) before the fraud was discovered.
The minster said said that the incident showed how faulty the IPPIS was and how it had been compromised by unscrupulous elements. He said that the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari was doing all it could to make the IPPIS tamper-proof and guide it from people who might want to load ghost workers on it.
He described On-Air Personalities as “very important’’ in the media industry and urged them to leverage on their platforms to educate the people on government`s policies. The minister said the current war against corruption was a war of survival for the nation and urged all Nigerians to give it the necessary support.