Homepage - Online Entertainment and Lifestyle Magazine in Nigeria
www.happenings.com.ng
San Bernardino Shooting: Bill Gates supports FBI’s Apple request to unlock iPhone
News

San Bernardino Shooting: Bill Gates supports FBI’s Apple request to unlock iPhone

Mfonobong Akpan

In the ongoing stand off between the US government and the tech company, Apple over the decision to unlock the smart phone of the San Bernardino killers, the FBI has got an ally in Bill Gates.

Since Apple challenged the court ruling on the phone last week, most technology industry leaders have either lined up behind Apple or stayed silent. Several prominent Silicon Valley leaders — including Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s chief executive; Jack Dorsey, the co-founder and chief executive of Twitter; and Sundar Pichai, Google’s chief executive — have publicly closed ranks in support of Apple’s position that the order poses an unacceptable threat to user privacy.

However, Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft, publicly broke with Apple in its clash with the Justice Department over access to an iPhone that belonged to an attacker in the December mass shooting in San Bernardino, Calif.

Apple’s chief executive, Timothy D. Cook, has forcefully argued that an order by a federal magistrate judge to assist the government in unlocking the accused terrorist’s phone would open a so-called back door to consumer phones that could obliterate the privacy protections.

“At stake is the data security of hundreds of millions of law-abiding people, and setting a dangerous precedent that threatens everyone’s civil liberties,” Mr. Cook said in an internal email sent to Apple employees this week.

Speaking with The Financial Times, Mr. Gates endorsed the United States government’s position that a judge’s order to help investigators hack into the phone would not set a harmful precedent. Here’s what he said:

“This is a specific case where the government is asking for access to information, They are not asking for some general thing, they are asking for a particular case.”

Mr. Gates told The Financial Times that society benefits from the government’s ability to investigate and thwart terror plots, though he acknowledged some rules are needed to protect information.

The government has portrayed its request as limited in nature, a one-time demand focused on a single device, the work phone issued to Syed Rizwan Farook, one of the San Bernardino gunmen who killed 14 people late last year.

The director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, James B. Comey Jr., made the case in a public statement on Sunday. “We simply want the chance, with a search warrant, to try to guess the terrorist’s passcode without the phone essentially self-destructing and without it taking a decade to guess correctly,” he said. “That’s it. We don’t want to break anyone’s encryption or set a master key loose on the land.”

The order was issued on Feb. 16 by Magistrate Judge Sheri Pym of Federal District Court for the District of Central California. Apple has until Friday to file a formal brief opposing the order to cooperate with the F.B.I.

source: nytimes.com