Nigerian Turkish Intl. College Abductees Regain Freedom
News

Nigerian Turkish Intl. College Abductees Regain Freedom

Mfonobong Akpan

After eleven days in captivity, eight staff and students of the Nigerian Turkish International Colleges (NTIC) in Isheri area of Ogun state, who were abducted from the school by suspected kidnappers, have regained their freedom.

According to Sun Newspaper, the abductees were, on Tuesday night, released and dropped by their captors at the back of the school, after which the police took their custody.

On Wednesday, around 10.55a.m, the rescued staff and students, as well as some parents were received by Governor Ibikunle Amosun at the Governor’s Office, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta.

Briefing the state governor, Ogun State Commissioner of Police, Ahmed Iliyasu said with the support of the state government and the resolute stance of the police, the identities of the hoodlums were uncovered 24 hours after the victims were abducted.

He added that the combined efforts of the military, DSS and the intelligence response system of the police, further tightened the noose around the kidnappers, hence, the eventual release of the victims.

Iliyasu, however, disclosed that during the rescue operation, a high profile suspect was arrested. He noted further that kidnap operation was of high scale saying investigations were still ongoing to nab others behind the abduction.

In his remark, the Managing Director of the College, Mr. Orhan Kertim, said it had been difficult and sleepless 11 days and lauded the parents of affected students for their solidarity and understanding.

He commended President Muhammadau Buhari and Governor Ibikunle Amosun for their quick responses to the abduction, while he also lauded the military, police and other security agencies for their efforts in ensuring the safe return of the victims.

Speaking on behalf of the parents, the Deputy Managing Director, Sun Newspapers, Steve Nwosu, thanked the state government, security agencies and everybody involved in the rescue operation.

“I want to thank everybody who was involved in this rescue efforts. We are all happy things have turned out the way they have turned out irrespective of any misgivings anybody might have.  What matters is that the kids are back with us safely. I pray that nobody would experience what we experienced”. Nwosu stated.

Governor Amosun in his address, congratulated the school and parents on the safe return of the abductees. Amosun, who disclosed that he was in constant communication with the president on the issue, disclosed that he became worried when the rescue exercise was taking longer than necessary.

“I congratulate the school and felicitate with the parents on the safe return of their staff and the kids. I can imagine the trauma you would have gone through. Sincerely, everybody was worried and I, personally became worried when the rescue efforts were taking longer than necessary.

“When the issue happened, I was not around but when I was informed, I called the attention of Mr. President to it. Even on Sunday, I still spoke with him and we had hoped that by Monday, they would be released. I mounted serious pressure on the police; I met with security agencies involved in the rescue operation more than five time, an so when the AIG came here on Tuesday, he assured that in the next 24 hours, the abducted will be released and I am happy they are all back with us alive”. Amosun said.

Happenings Media
www.happenings.com.ng