Nearly 2000 child soldiers were recruited by infamous terrorist sect, Boko Haram in 2016. This was revealed on Tuesday by the United Nations International Children’s Fund (UNICEF)’s Executive Director, Anthony Lake during the anniversary of the Paris commitments to end the use of children in conflict.
UNICEF Executive Director, Anthony Lake, said the exact data on the number of children used in armed conflict was difficult to ascertain because of the unlawful nature of the exercise.
“For instance, since 2013 an estimated 17,000 children have been recruited in South Sudan and up to 10,000 have been recruited in the Central African Republic (CAR).
“Similarly, nearly 2,000 children were recruited by Boko Haram in Nigeria and neighbouring countries last year alone, and there have been nearly 1,500 cases of child recruitment in Yemen since the conflict escalated in March 2015.
“We cannot give up the fight to end child recruitment,” the UNICEF chief said. “It is not only about looking back at what has been accomplished; but looking forward to the work that remains to be done to support the children of war,” he added.
Taking away the innocence of thousands of children and manipulating them to commit grievous offences against humanity, is barbaric and must be stopped. With the ever increasing rate of terrorism/ child recruitment, will the battle against terrorism ever be won?