Homepage - Online Entertainment and Lifestyle Magazine in Nigeria
www.happenings.com.ng
 Xenophobic attack
Xenophobic attack
News

Xenophobic Attacks On The Rise Again, Two Nigerians Killed In South Africa       

Two Nigerians have been killed in the recent Xenophobic attacks in South Africa.

Funsho Akinwale

Two Nigerians were killed over the weekend in the ongoing Xenophobic attacks on foreigners in South Africa, reports say.

The two Nigerians were, on Saturday and Sunday, stabbed to death in Johannesburg and Cape Town respectively.

No arrest has been made by the security operatives, as normal activities have continued in the two cities.

The Assistant Public Relations Officer, Nigeria Union, in South Africa, Odefa Ikele, has confirmed the killing to the media on Monday

“The Nigerian community lost two citizens to gruesome murders over the weekend.

“Mr. Bonny Iwuoha, 48, from Ihitte/Uboma in Imo State, was stabbed to death at about 11:45 pm on April 6, 2019, in Johannesburg ,South Africa.

“We gathered that his assailants followed him from 152, Hay Street Turffontein, and thereafter, stabbed and killed him in front of his gate at Turf Road, Turffontein.

“The killing was witnessed by Mr. Izochukwu Nwokocha, also known as, Nwa Father,” he said.

Odefa added that the killing had been reported and a case of murder opened at Booysens Police Station in Johannesburg South.

The Nigeria Union spokesman also said another Nigerian, identified as Goziem Akpenyi, also lost his life in similar circumstances on April 5, 2019.

“Akpenyi was allegedly stabbed to death by three unknown coloured South African men after an argument with the deceased.

“The incident took place at Bellville Stadium parking lot in Cape Town at about 1 pm on Friday, April 5, 2019.

“These latest killings add to four other Nigerians who were shot dead in March.

“Three of the victims were murdered in Sunnyside, Pretoria; and one in Balfour Park, Johannesburg,” he said.

Ikele, in his statement, appealed to the Nigerian government to intervene and called its counterpart, to prosecute culprits to serve as deterrent to other perpetrators.

It is a known fact that in the last one year, hundreds of Nigerians have been sent to an early grave in the attack with no one arrested for the killing.

But the major complaints of South Africans to the killings is how Nigerian men lure their women into drugs and also sleep with them after enticing them with money.

Also read: #EndSars: Political Motives The Reason Behind Police Reform Delay - Okechukwu Nwanguma