Police Rescues Commissioner’s Son, Parades Suspects 

David Ugbabe

A team of Operation Puff Adder operatives from the State Police Command at Ikeingbabiri have nabbed the abductors of the six-year-old son of Bayelsa State Commissioner for Water Resources, Mr Nengi Talbot, after spending 16 days in their custody.

Five of the suspected abductors have been apprehended by the police in an operation that lasted three days while the leader of the group is said to be at large.

According to reports, Antonio was kidnapped at gunpoint on December 23, 2019, at his father’s residence in the New Commissioner’s Quarter in Opolo area of Yenagoa while a N50M ransom was demanded four days later.

Antonio was rescued and returned home by the Commissioner of Police, Mr Uche Anozia, at the Marine Police Jetty, Yenagoa, at about 5 pm on Tuesday after the Puff Adder operatives arrived with him in a gunboat.

The victim stated that while in captivity, his abductors fed him with indomie noodles and garri (Cassava flakes). He added that they fed him with soup and tea which made him sleep afterwards. Antonio, who was very happy to be reunited with his parents and family members, revealed that he was beaten up by one of the kidnappers.

The Commissioner of Police, Mr Uche Anozia, at the state police command headquarters where the five alleged kidnappers were paraded said, “We were not relaxing. We were tracking them. We were on their trail since the incident was reported until our men got them and rescued the little boy today.”

Talbot, who stated that one of the kidnappers pointed a gun at him on the day of the incident, said, “It is not really because it has been part of our history that when they kidnap, they kill, but I give glory to God that my son has been rescued. It has been a nightmare for me and my family since my son was kidnapped.”

According to Elawei Akpoko who was one of the suspects, one Ebi, a gang member did not tell them they were on a mission to kidnap the commissioner’s son.

He said, “Before the day we went, we had been to his (commissioner’s) house, but he said he had no money. Before we knew, Ebi had brought the little boy to the car that we used,” he said.

Happenings Media