The daughter to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Hanan Buhari, has denied the human rights abuse allegations which were levelled against her by a man identified as Anthony Okolie.
Recall, he was the man allegedly detained by the State Security Service (SSS) for 10 weeks over the ownership and use of a sim card previously used by Hanan Buhari.
Mr Okolie and his legal representative, Tope Akinyode, had gone on to sue Hanan Buhari, the State Security Service (SSS), and MTN, over his ‘illegal detention’.
Mr Okolie has sued for the sum of N500 million in aggravated damages for the gross and unlawful violation of his rights to acquire moveable properties, freedom of movement and self-dignity. He compels the court to ensure the sum be paid jointly or separately by all three accused.
During the hearing of the lawsuit filed by Mr Okolie at Federal High Court in Asaba on Wednesday, the president’s daughter, through her lawyer M.E. Sheriff, told the court that Hanan Buhari would not be responding to the allegations, as it is of no relevance.
Sheriff said, “My lord, we didn’t file a counter-affidavit but a written address. We didn’t file because we haven’t found a reason to file a counter-affidavit.”
The judge, Nnamdi Dimgba, at this moment became furious and he queried, “What do you mean you haven’t seen a reason? Sheriff, how can you not see a reason? Somebody has accused you. Even if it is to say, ‘I didn’t do so’, can’t you respond? You’re saying you did not see a reason. Sheriff, what kind of thing is this?”
To that outburst, the State Security Service [SSS] legal adviser, E.E. Daobri, announced that he has not receive the necessary documents from the SSS headquarters in Abuja on time, thus, he could not file a counter-affidavit.