Since the commencement of registration for the 2020 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), about 1.9 million prospective candidates have so far been registered.
This was disclosed by the board's head of Media and Information, Dr Fabian Benjamin, on Sunday. He reiterated that the registration will be officially closed in few hours and there will be no extension.
He said, "Let me state clearly here that there will be no extension for the registration of candidates for both the UTME and the direct entry as is being speculated in some quarters.
“Registration for this year’s examination ends by 12 midnight of February 17 and that will be it for this year. I like to say that the board is pleased with the way the exercise has gone so far and with this, we have registered over 1.9 million candidates. We have never recorded such a number before.
“Without doubt, this figure is the highest that the board has ever recorded in the history of its examination. We are equally, happy as a board that we keep improving everyday in a bid to ensure effective management of our operations.”
He also added that all efforts is being made to see to it that the examination is hitch free and that out of 747 centers across the country, only 669 will be used to conduct the mock exam.
"One of the purposes of the mock examination is to test-run the facilities in these centres. Anyone of them that falls short of standard will automatically be delisted,” he said.
He conclusively called on the support and cooperation of stakeholders to take responsibility in ensuring efficient delivery.