The Ondo State Governor, Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, has refuted the allegation that his convoy crushed a motorcycle rider named, Jimoh Aladeniyi, to death.
He insisted that his convoy was not involved as erroneously painted in the reports, describing it as fake news.
In a statement issued by the State Commissioner of Information and Orientation, Mr Donald Ojogo, it was revealed that the victim was killed when he rammed into a stationary Nissan jeep marked UK 475 KJA which was parked close to the Government Technical College, Owo, at about 8pm on Sunday night.
Contrarily, the reports on social media accused the governor of abandoning an accident victim caused by his convoy. Newsmen who appeared at the scene of the incidence noted that it had been marked out by the policemen on arrival.
However, speaking with some of the eye witnesses, it was gathered that in an effort to avoiding clashing with Governor Akeredolu’s convoy, Aladeniyi rammed into the parked car.
Meanwhile, Ojogo stated that “This, without prejudice to Police investigation, is the outcome of our preliminary probe on the heels of the anxiety understandably generated by the deliberate news slant.”
According to him, the vehicle was taken to the Police Station in Owo for inspection and possible verification by Journalists as well as the public.
Police spokesman, ASP Tee-Leo, in his remark over the allegation, said that the governor’s convoy didn’t hit the okada rider. He added that he visited the scene of the accident to get first-hand information about the incident.
He said, “It is good to correct the impression on the social media. Journalism is about factual reporting.”
Meanwhile, the statement stated that Governor Akeredolu sympathizes with the family of the deceased and prays God for the repose of his soul.
“This incident, unfortunate and avoidable as it seems, underscores the need for caution on our highways,” he said.