The Senate has stated that if the present tempo of work being carried out on the second Niger bridge is sustained, the federal government would be able to hand over the project by 2022.
According to the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Works, Sen. Adamu Aliero, after an inspection was carried out on the project on Wednesday, the level of work on-going is satisfactory. He also noted that funding has never proved to be a challenge as one of the sources of funding by the Federal Government was the recovered loots from corrupt politicians.
He said, “Most of the contractors doing a contract with the Federal Ministry of Works are complaining of lack of funding, but this project is one that is not suffering from lack of funds. Adequate arrangements have been made by the government to fund it with the National Sovereign Investment Authority and recovered looted funds.”
Issues had been raised concerning the consultant for the Julius Berger living in South Africa, however, the committee chairman noted that it has never posed a problem. He said, “They (Consultants) have local partners that are doing the work for them while the consultant visits from time to time.”
Meanwhile, he noted that many Nigerian engineers are working in the place, of which 70 per cent of the labourers are Nigerians, who according to him are the providers of the services while the company ensures compliance with the local content law. “They are doing the work at the highest level of engineering design.”
He assured that “Adequate measures have been taken by the contractor to avoid all the mistakes of the past on the first Niger Bridge.” He noted that the bridge is being done in such a way that the bridge when constructed, would last for 100 years.