Leonardo DiCaprio is taking the French gossip magazine Oops! to court after it claimed he was having a baby with reported girlfriend Rihanna and did not wish to be in the child’s life.
Gossip Cop reports the 40-year-old is far from pleased about the baby news which was splashed across the cover of the mag last month.
His legal team have filed the suit in a French court demanding the magazine retracts the story and pays him the maximum compensation French law allows, namely of 18,000 Euros, or around $US20,000 in damages plus legal fees.
According to court papers sighted by Gossip Cop, the actor has also asked the company be further fined another 10,000 Euros if it does not apologise and print a retraction.
The star’s legal team have filed the suit in a French court demanding the magazine retracts the story and pays him the maximum compensation
Leo, the website reports, became aware of the magazine’s claims which he was in France for the Cannes International Film Festival.
Published May 13, the tabloid’s cover featured pictures of Rihanna and Leo saying, ‘Rihanna Pregnant With Leonardo’s Baby: He Doesn’t Want The Baby’.
An owner of Oops!, Frederic Truskolaski, told Gossip Cop his magazine knew its story was untrue.
He said ‘we didn’t know’ if Rihanna was pregnant but ‘thought she might be. We were not sure, of course’.
The owner is not hopeful he will win the case: ‘Usually you lose. [The fine] won’t be much.’
Truskolaski was shocked that the Hollywood heavyweight is suing however, asking ‘Why is he doing this?’.
Leonardo is not just suing because of the claim, the website reports, but also because pictures of him used violate France’s strict right to privacy laws.
The case is set to go before a Paris court on June 16.