The much-awaited 79th birthday party for ANC veteran and member of parliament Winnie Madikizela-Mandela which was previously planned to hold on Saturday September 26 has been cancelled, allegedly due to a lack of funding.
It is alleged that the event was cancelled after sponsors failed to walk their talk.
Sunday World has learnt that the event, which was supposed to coincide with the annual Winnie Mandela Global Awards, might take place on December 9 as Madikizela-Mandela hoped she would have tied up reliable sponsors by then.
Madikizela-Mandela’s personal assistant Zodwa Zwane refused to comment.
“Who gave you that information? Speak to the people who were responsible for organising the party and not me. I’m just a personal assistant,” she said.
Two independent sources close to the struggle icon confirmed the do has been cancelled.
“I’m one of the people who received an invite and I have been constantly in touch with the family to check on the progress. I was shocked when one of the family members told me the party had been cancelled because of a lack of funds,” said the source.
The other source also said the family was now planning to host the gala towards the end of the year.