Woman loses pregnancy; requires psychiatric evaluation after being assaulted by boyfriend

Woman loses pregnancy; requires psychiatric evaluation after being assaulted by boyfriend

Yvonne Williams

A sizzling affair came to a disastrous halt when Ngozi Peter received serious beatings from her so called boyfriend leading to a miscarriage.

Five years after losing her husband, Ngozi Peter began a relationship with Mr. Chinedu Ndubui­si.

According to Daily Sun, Ms Peter met Mr. Ndubuisi, an air-conditioner technician and they started a love affair. When things seem not to work out, she decided to move on with life by relocating to Lagos after living as a widow for half a decade. Mr. Ndubuisi then came into her life with the promise to marry her. He asked her to move in with him because he wanted to marry her.
In a bid to give the relationship a chance, the widow moved in with the young man in his one-room apartment, at 8, Sanu Street, Ikeja, Lagos.

They lived together for two years but Ndubuisi promised to marry her when she gets pregnant for him. She eventually got pregnant but things took a dramatic turn when he allegedly started demanding for money, and the documents of some of the landed properties left for Ms Pe­ter by her late husband, giving that as a condition to start their wedding process.

According to Ms Peter, she gave him over N100, 000 to start their wedding arrangement but insisted they must be legally married first before she could hand over her land documents to him. Her refusal to surrender the documents seemed to have gotten him incensed, she added.
However, he bottled up his anger un­til the midnight on 6th April when he exploded with fury.

The victim narrated her ordeal: “Because of my eight-week pregnancy, I suspended my clothes business at Igando,” the Amor­ka, Imo State born widow told Saturday Sun.

“But he stopped bringing money to assist me or support my upkeep. Still, I was using my savings to prepare food in the house.
“On that fateful day, I prepared his favourite meal. When he came back around 7pm, he said he won’t eat the food and left the house. He returned around 11pm in the night. Again he left saying that I should leave the door unlocked. Since I was not sure of when he would return, I locked the door and waited for him. He came back around midnight, and I went to open the door. He got angry that I locked the door and started abusing me. He asked me why I should lock the door, saying I don’t have any value since I refused to bring money or my land documents. I told him the documents are not with me. He shouted at me calling me a liar and that I don’t want to bring money for our marriage. He said that I should be grateful that he wants to marry me.

I told him it’s a taboo in my village for a woman to pay her own bride price. I said that he should make up the remaining sum if he’s serious about settling down with me.
“At that point, he descended on me. He slapped me, asking why I dared talk back at him. I asked him what I’ve done to him but he kept beating me. He then told me that he was out to give me the biggest disgrace of my life that night. He tore my wrapper, and pushed me outside the house.

I didn’t fight him because I was trying to hide my nakedness with my hands. But he kept beating me and grabbed my throat attempting to strangle me. None of the male neighbours came out because they knew I was naked. It was only one neighbour that mustered the courage to intervene with his wife. The woman brought her clothes to cover my body.

While Chinedu went about breaking every property I bought and kept in his house.

Af­ter destroying my gas cooker, lap­top and other valuables, he came back again and started beating me. He dragged me on the floor trying to strip me naked again. I ran out of the compound into the streets. He chased me with an iron rod that he used to flog me on the head. At that point, some street boys stay­ing under the bridge at Awolowo road rushed at him. But he freed his hands and grabbed my hand trying to drag me back to the house. The street boys refused insisting that I should not go back to the house with him if I wanted to live. One of them gave me N200 to get a taxi and run to a nearby police station. I was taken to the Police Station, and it was there that I collapsed, and found myself at the Accident and Emergency (A & E) Unit of La­gos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH).”
Saturday Sun leant that police­men rushed her to the hospital around 2am Thursday last week and allegedly abandoned her there.
Saturday Sun also learnt that Ngozi has been referred to Yaba Psychiatry Hospital for medical examination to rule out fears of probable brain damage due to head injuries.“When she came out of coma, she was acting and saying strange things. It is apparent that she is traumatized by the beatings she got, but we want her to go see a neurosurgeon, to make sure the hits she got on the head didn’t damage any part of her brain”, said a medi­cal official that pleaded anonymity.
According to Ngozi, her big­gest concern now is how to move her belongings out of Ndubisi’s place. She has petitioned the Area F Police Command, Ikeja to seek justice.

Happenings Media