Olympic Gold Medalist, Usain Bolt said he will retire from athletics after the 2017 World Championships in London, he confirmed in an interview to a British tabloid published Saturday.
The Jamaican sprint star — who has won six Olympic gold medals and is the reigning world record holder over the 100 meter and 200 meter disciplines — had previously intimated he would quit the sport after the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
However, Bolt now says he will stay on for one more year but will only compete in the 100m event in London.
“That was the initial plan (to retire in 2016),” he told the Daily Mail. “But my sponsor has asked me to go on for another year, to 2017 and London.
“I’ll be doing one event, the 100(m). I’ve already discussed it with my coach. I can concentrate on that, and on retiring on a winning note.”
The 28-year-old had a quiet 2014, competing in only three races. But he still took gold in the Commonwealth Games 100m relay in Glasgow, his first Commonwealth medal.
He confirmed his main focus for 2015 will be the World Championships in Beijing in August where he hopes to add to his collection of eight world titles.
Bolt also indicated he will be looking to beat his own 100m world record of 9.58 seconds that he recorded at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin.
“If everything goes well this season… in my life anything is possible,” he said “If I can get myself in good shape, it should be wonderful this season.
“I live for competition. I thrive on competition. I live to compete against the best. It means a lot when you beat the best.
“I remember when I won in Beijing (at the 2008 Olympics), people were saying how Tyson (Gay) wasn’t there. So for me the World Championship the following year, when everyone was there, that was good.”