Luis Figo in favour of live FIFA presidency debate
Sports

Luis Figo in favour of live FIFA presidency debate

Fola Akintomide

Luis Figo says he would jump at the chance to take part in a live televised debate with Sepp Blatter and the other two candidates running for the FIFA presidency.

Sky and the BBC have written to the four hopefuls – current president Blatter, FIFA vice-president Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein of Jordan, Dutch FA president Michael van Praag and former Portugal international Figo – inviting them to take part in the broadcast debate involving fans from around the world.

Figo – along with Prince Ali – had previously stated he would be willing to take part in such a debate and he reiterated his stance on Monday. “Football is loved and cherished around the world and we owe it to the fans to have an open, honest discussion about the future of FIFA as the international governing body,” the ex-Real Madrid and Barcelona winger said in a statement.

“I fully support the idea of a public debate between the candidates as proposed by the BBC and Sky. For this to work effectively, I believe all four candidates need to participate and I will be writing to the broadcasters to confirm that position.

“It is essential that we set FIFA on a new course and the football community, including the public and the fans, deserve to know what all four Presidential candidates offer for the future.” FA chairman Greg Dyke has welcomed the idea of a debate and is happy for it to take place at Wembley. He said: “I would love to see a leaders’ debate. I would love to see the four candidates for this election to get in a room together and be questioned. We would happily host it at Wembley.”

AD
Happenings Media
www.happenings.com.ng