Floyd Mayweather could soon be losing a considerable portion of the $180 million he made defeating his longtime rival Many Pacquiao on Saturday. As first reported by TMZ, the welterweight champion of the world is facing a $20 million defamation lawsuit filed by Josie Harris, who he was convicted of assaulting in 2012.
Harris, who has three children with Mayweather, is suing the boxer, because he denied beating her up in a Katie Couric interview that was aired two weeks ago. Although Mayweather served two months in prison for the attack, he claimed that he only subdued her, because she was under the influence of drugs.
“Did I kick, stomp and beat someone? No, that didn’t happen,” Floyd said in his interview with Couric. “I look in your face and say, ‘No, that didn’t happen.'”
“Did I restrain a woman that was on drugs?” Mayweather continued. “Yes, I did. So if they say that’s domestic violence, then, you know what? I’m guilty. I’m guilty of restraining someone.”
Harris viewed the events quite differently. She spoke of her long-term abusive relationship with Mayweather in an interview with USA Today Sports last year.
“I was a battered woman,” Harris told USA Today Sports’ Martin Rogers. “I felt embarrassed about saying I was a battered woman. I felt shame. I felt like it was my fault. What did I do? I didn’t understand what a battered woman was at that time. Now I know I was in a very dysfunctional, hostile relationship and a victim of domestic violence.”
According to sources at TMZ, Harris believes that Mayweather’s interview with Couric is the reason she’s recently been labeled a drug addict and faced large scale humiliation.
Harris’ lawyer says that Mayweather’s statements to Couric “were knowingly fabricated in order to hype Mayweather’s upcoming fight with Pacquiao, to avoid bad press by deflecting responsibility for beating the mother of his children.”
Mayweather’s legal team has yet to issue a statement. Stay tuned for more developments.