FIFA President Sepp Blatter has decided to step down as president of the football’s governing body.
Blatter made the announcement just four days after the FIFA Congress that saw him win a fifth term as the body’s president.
“I cherish FIFA more than anything and I want to do only what is best for FIFA and for football,” Blatter said at a press conference in Zurich.
“FIFA needs a profound overhaul. I have decided to lay down my mandate at an extraordinary elective Congress.
“I will continue to exercise my functions as FIFA president until that election.”
Domenico Scala, head of FIFA’s independent audit and compliance committee, said there would need to be four months’ notice for any new presidential election.
“The decision for the timing of the election of the next president will be up to the executive committee and will take place any time from December until March.”
According to Punch, the resignation, would be recalled as one of the most memorable in FIFA’s history.
Seven high-ranking FIFA officials were arrested ahead of the football governing body’s meeting last Friday.
Swiss authorities had launched a separate criminal investigation into the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups that are set to be held in Russia and Qatar.
At the FIFA meeting in Zurich last Friday, Blatter,79, had been re-elected when his only rival, Jordan’s Prince Ali bin Al Hussein, withdrew after gaining 73 votes to Blatter’s 133 in the first round of voting.
A day later, Blatter came out fighting, implying that the US timed the announcement of a major corruption probe to try to scupper his re-election bid.