Private Prosecutors in Las Vegas, who have been closely monitoring the Cristiano Ronaldo rape case, have now issued a statement saying the Juventus football star will not face criminal charges over the pending allegations that he raped a woman at a Las Vegas hotel in 2009.
On Monday, Clark County district attorney, Mr Steve Wolfson, said after reviewing police investigations into the rape claims that there is not enough evidence to prove the allegations beyond a reasonable doubt. Therefore, no charges will be filed.
“Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Therefore, no charges will be forthcoming,” Wolfson said.
Kathryn Mayorga, Ronaldo's accuser, who came forward with her story last year, has filed another lawsuit against the Portugese winger. This time, she made a civil lawsuit against him in a US Federal Court, claiming the 34-year-old footballer, Ronaldo, initially used “fixers” to stop her from pressing criminal charges and also paid her $375,000 to stay off media and court.
Ronaldo’s lawyer, Peter Christiansen, has not openly denied that his client reached an agreement nine years ago with Mayorga. Yet, that has left loopholes in the minds of the public as to why Cristiano Ronaldo would pay off Mayorga if he did nothing wrong. The US Federal Court has dismissed all accusations against the five times Balon d'Or winner, stating that the accuser has so many false testimonies that don’t add up in court. Also, Mayorga's lawyers have pulled out of the case, after admitting the accuser possibly 'lied' about the incident or how it happened.