Happenings Media
www.happenings.com.ng
“Barcelona Wrong For Allowing Clasico To Be Postponed,” Says Laporta  
Sports

“Barcelona Wrong For Allowing Clasico To Be Postponed,” Says Laporta  

Austin Papi

Joan Laporta, former president of the Catalan based club, Barcelona, has accused Barcelona of being responsible for the postponement of the 'El Clasico.'

The El Clasico is a renowned clash between the two La Liga biggest rivals, Barcelona and Real Madrid. It was scheduled to be played on Saturday, October 26, but the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) decided to reschedule the fixture due to political and civil unrest in Catalonia.

The 57-year-old lawyer and politician, Joan Laporta, emerged as the President of Barcelona football club in 2003 but later relinquished his position on corruption charges, as Josep Maria Bartomeu took over as the new president of Barcelona.

Joan Laporta said during an interview with a sports outlet:

"Yes, [I would've played] the game on Saturday because if Real Madrid wanted to play then I don't see the problem.

"The powers that be wanted to magnify what was happening for political reasons. [Barcelona] were mistaken because they criminalised a movement and put politics ahead of a football match that always has political connotations. It's always been like this.

"They've played a game with the powers that rule football to make people from Barcelona and everyone look bad. La Liga made a strong move for it not to be played.

"La Liga had political interests to magnify a certain situation and exaggerate what happened. It's the worst way of getting past what is happening. Barcelona are guilty in this situation."

Demonstrations of the civil unrest swept the city of Catalan last month as a result of nine Catalan separatist leaders who were jailed between nine and 13 years for their role in the referendum on Catalan independence that occurred in October 2017.