The returning Spanish national team coach, Luis Enrique, has addressed the controversial way he returned to the team, replacing his former assistant, Robert Moreno, who took charge in his stead.
After the victory over Romania earlier in November, Enrique, who had taken a break from football to mourn the loss of his daughter, Xana Martinez, who died after a brief battle with bone cancer, returned to his role as head coach.
Enrique explained in an interview that Moreno wasn't loyal to him and that was why he could not even stay on in an assistant coach capacity.
"This is a special day for my family and me as I return home to finish a project," Enrique said at a press conference on Wednesday.
"I feel I need to explain a lot more than I'd have liked. The controversy is generated by a person who worked with me in my staff for a long time.
"The only person responsible for Robert Moreno not being in my staff now is me, nobody else.
"The disagreement comes from a meeting at my house on September 12.
"He told me that he wanted to do Euro 2020 and that he'd then make himself available as my number two.
"It didn't surprise me. I understood it because he is ambitious, and this is a good thing.nBut he is disloyal, and that is a major defect for me.
"I don't want people like that on my staff. I told him I was feeling strong and motivated, but that he wouldn't be on my team. We finished the meeting in a polite way.
"I phoned each member of my staff and asked them not to relay my words.
"I didn't phone the federation, and if someone did so in my name, then it wasn't with my blessing.
"It all changed at the end of October when we met in Zaragoza with the Spanish FA president and [Jose Francisco] Molina.
"I told them there was no commitment to me, nothing that had to be respected. I don't feel proud about how it all ended. I'm not the good guy in the movie, but I'm not the villain either."